Health & Safety Protocols
Learn more about the University’s health and safety protocols to help protect the campus community from COVID-19 and reduce the spread of the virus.
Vaccinations and Boosters: In response to updated federal and state guidelines on COVID-19, effective June 1, 2023, Kean University will no longer require the COVID-19 vaccination. However, all members of the Kean community are strongly encouraged to get a COVID-19 booster shot, if they are eligible, to help protect their own health and the health of those around them. You can make an appointment for a vaccination series or booster shot at locations across the state.
Mask Policy: Although masks are not required in most places on campus, anyone who is more comfortable wearing a mask remains welcome to do so and the community is encouraged to support others’ choices.
Reporting a Positive Case: Students who test positive are required to notify Health Services via email at email@example.com, by calling health services at (908) 737-4880, or by uploading results to the secure portal. Employees who test positive for COVID-19 should report the result to firstname.lastname@example.org or (908) 737-3300.
Every member of the Kean community plays an important role in protecting the health and well-being of our campus.
Together we will create a safe and welcoming learning environment for everyone.
The University’s protocols are based on federal, state and local public health guidance, and are subject to change. The University will provide notice of any significant changes by email.
- Students should self-monitor for symptoms of COVID-19. Anyone who is experiencing symptoms is encouraged to take a test.
- Commuter students must stay home and contact their primary healthcare provider or Student Health Services if they feel ill or have tested positive for COVID-19.
- Residential students must stay in their assigned residence hall and must contact their Resident Assistant or the Residence Hall Director if they feel ill or have tested positive for COVID-19.
- Students who test positive are required to notify Health Services via email@example.com.
- Students must follow all recommendations for isolation and masking, as directed by Student Health Services or other public health officials.
- Students must observe all instructional signs posted by the University.
- Failure to abide by these protocols may result in disciplinary action taken by the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs.
If you have questions, contact Student Health Services at (908) 737-4880 or firstname.lastname@example.org for guidance and support.
- All members of the Kean community are encouraged to continue to wash their hands frequently and use hand sanitizing dispensers across campus to help prevent the spread of illness. If a dispenser needs to be replenished, please call the Housekeeping hotline at (908) 737-5010.
- The University will continue to employ enhanced cleaning protocols throughout the campus.
- Spray bottles of a disinfectant effective against COVID-19 and paper towel dispensers have been placed in classrooms. Call Housekeeping at (908) 737-5010 if the supplies need to be replenished.
- Office areas can request a spray bottle of disinfectant and paper towels by calling Housekeeping at (908) 737-5010.
- The restroom cleaning schedule is posted on the back of the door in each restroom. If a restroom requires attention between cleanings, call Housekeeping at (908) 737-5010.
- The Kean University division of Campus Planning reviewed all buildings in preparation for a safe return to campus. Major enhancements were made in the areas of indoor air quality, building operations, and enhanced cleaning protocols. All Kean University standards for facilities systems and procedures meet or exceed state Indoor Air Quality Standards.
- The University is no longer conducting regular weekly COVID testing for employees regardless of their vaccination status. Anyone who is experiencing symptoms is encouraged to take a test.
- Employees should self-monitor for symptoms of COVID-19.
- Employees must report positive COVID-19 test results to Human Resources by email to email@example.com or by phone at (908) 737-3300 and follow instructions on isolation and masking.
The University thanks all employees for their continued cooperation in protecting the health of the community.